> Help & Support > Version History
All new features and enhancements made to the Synapptic Software are detailed below.
To check which version of Synapptic you are using select the Phone or Tablet Information option from the Main Menu, then select About Phone/Tablet. Both the version number and build number will be listed.
To update your copy of Synapptic to the latest version select the Settings option from the Main Menu then select the Updates option and follow the on-screen and spoken instructions.
Version 7.5 Build 539 (20-May-2021)
- Updates to support the latest devices from Samsung, including their flip and foldable phones and new 12.4 inch tablet!
- A number of minor security and stability enhancements.
Version 7.5 Build 520 (30-Jun-2020)
- A new Links option has been added to the Text Messages menu. This allows web links sent in text messages to be easily followed
- Synapptic has been updated for compatibility with the latest versions of Skype and YouTube
- Better support for Zoom and MSTeams links in emails
- A number of minor security and stability enhancements.
Version 7.5 Build 505 (03-Dec-2019)
Version 7.0 Build 466 (19-June-2019)
Version 6.1 Build 390 (20-Sept-2018)
- Added translation for Portuguese (Beta)
- Updated all translations
- Changed the keyboard to have 4 numeric/symbol pages for all non-English languages
- Added a new Sounds and Beeps option. Available options are now On, Off and Quiet. (On some devices the beeps and sounds are much louder than the voice. The new Quiet option addresses this).
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
Version 6.1 Build 382 (03-July-2018)
- New channels ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and France 24 added to the UK TV Player
- Delete Cookies option added to the Synapptic Web Browser (Web Browser settings menu).
Version 6.1 Build 380 (15-June-2018)
- The Synapptic Call Screen has been altered. It now shows extra text and animated arrows reminding users that the Home button (or volume-up on the Samsung Galaxy S8/S9) can be used to answer a call. The red end-call button works as normal.
Version 6.1 Build 379 (01-June-2018)
- A new Voicemail option has been added to the Make a Call menu (second option from the end). This will find the voicemail number from the SIM card, then dial it. If the SIM card does not have a voicemail number pre-defined, a new call setting is available which allows a voicemail number to be typed in.
- A new Spanish (USA) option is available on the Synapptic Languages menu
- The Synapptic App launcher now shows the same full list of installed apps that Android shows
- The time taken for Synapptic to startup has been improved for certain models of (non Samsung) phone
- Other minor improvements.
Version 6.1 Build 376
- Minor changes to the German translation on the Weather details screen.
Version 6.1 Build 375
- For phones and SIM tablets the text message configuration menu has been moved from the Main Menu to now only show when the actual Text Messages menu option is selected. The SMS configuration wording has been changed to 'Allow Synapptic to access your text messages' instead
- More easily change the zoom level of the magnifier's Live View by using a pinch and zoom technique on the screen. The old method of using the volume keys is still available, but using pinch and zoom directly on the screen is much quicker and easier
- New colour options are now available when using the magnifier's Live View mode. These include yellow on black, black on yellow, white on black, black on white, blue on black, black on blue, inverted, greyscale and normal
- Each new colour option on the magnifier's Live View mode now has two new variants: Enhanced 1 and Enhanced 2
All enhanced-1 colour options have additional user configurable contrast and brightness controls. A new button in the top right of the magnifier (to the left of the help button) can be used to show or hide the new contrast and brightness controls. The contrast and brightness levels are remembered for each colour option
All enhanced-2 colour options colour the image with maximum 100% contrast. This is done by converting the original coloured image to use just two contrasting colours. For example, blue writing on a white page can be converted to bright yellow writing on a black background
- A new option on the Magnifier Menu allows the Synapptic magnifier to be optimised for the camera being used. Two options are available: Normal and Fast. Normal is the recommended default setting but a Fast option is also available. The Fast option will optimise the magnifier for a faster screen refresh rate, as opposed to optimised image quality
- Updated translations for German and Dutch versions of Synapptic
- Other minor security and performance enhancements.
Version 6.0 Build 315
- A new simplified calendar makes finding dates and typing appointments quicker and easier. The enhanced Agenda View allows upcoming appointments to be easily viewed, edited or deleted.
- The new weather forecast option in the Tools Menu gives accurate forecasts and current weather details for anywhere in the world.
- Android apps can now be launched directly from Synapptic. Find this new option in the Tools menu. This new feature, in combination with the triple tap feature to start or stop TalkBack, provides simple and powerful access to the more complex parts of Android.
- The new magnifier option converts your phone or tablet into a premium hand-held electronic magnifier and has options to freeze, zoom up to x100, save, rename, switch colours/contrast, and also gives direct access to the reading machine!
- A new line-view reading mode makes eccentric reading easy with text automatically scrolling across the screen at an adjustable speed. This can be used to read emails, text messages, reading machine documents, notes, etc.
- If you use the Synapptic Radio player, you'll really appreciate the new features we've added to make it quicker and easier to find your favourite radio stations. A new search feature allows you to search easily though the thousands of stations, and a favourites list makes it quick and simple to play your favourite ones.
- Get the most out of every photograph and image with the super-powerful photo viewer. It can now magnify up to x100 and is easily operated with pinch and zoom.
- To make it easier to group and find photos, each photo you take can now be given a name. The list of photos can be quickly and easily searched to find the photo or group of photos required.
- If you take lots of photos the new photo viewer is now super-quick to operate and allows many unwanted photos to be deleted at once.
- The reading machine now has two new modes. Normal Mode is great for normal text from books, magazines and newspapers. Ignore Columns Mode will ignore any columns of text and just reads from left to right. This mode is particularly useful for things like bank statements.
- Reading machine text can now be saved and the file given a specific name.
- A new Reading Machine search option makes it quick and easy to find previous text.
- Reading machine text can now also be transferred to the Notepad for further editing.
- When you have lots of Voice Memos, the new rename and search features allow you to easily organise memos and quickly find specific or groups of memos.
- To help keep Synapptic even more simple to operate we have made the bottom left of the screen the standard location for buttons to continue or confirm a selection of emails, photos or folders, etc.
- With an ever increasing number of emails being sent and received we have introduced a new feature to make it quicker and easier to delete multiple emails at the same time.
- Synapptic can automatically fetch new emails, but a new Fetch Emails menu option towards the top of the Email Menu now makes it quicker and easier to fetch emails manually.
- No one likes to suddenly loose an email, note or text message they're in the middle of working on. To help make sure this never happens, we've introduced a new prompt which asks if you are sure you wish to exit a Synapptic screen without saving the text.
- To help with organising and quickly finding specific notes in the Notepad, we've added the ability to rename notes and to search for notes with a specific name or containing specific words.
- When there are hundreds of contacts in your address book, we've improved the speed and responsiveness of screens that allow you to pick a contact.
- If you like to write long emails, this new feature will definitely help! A new email drafts feature allows an email to be saved and worked on over several days.
- To help make voice recognition easier, the button to turn voice recognition on and off for the keyboard has been enlarged, so it's easier to locate.
- It's now easier to manage text you have spoken in with voice recognition. The delete key has two functions. It first deletes the complete last utterance, then continues to function as a normal delete key, deleting one character at a time.
- If you use Synapptic in Double Tap mode, it can be slow and frustrating when using the keyboard. A new setting allows the keyboard to work in normal Single Tap mode, independently of the menus working in double tap mode.
- If you're new to a computer keyboard, the QWERTY layout can be confusing and make it slow to type. A new keyboard setting now allows the keyboard to be configured as an ABC style keyboard or a QWERTY style keyboard.
- Want to customise your Main Menu and add shortcuts for quick access, or delete options for an even simpler menu? The new Customise option in the Settings Menu makes this much quicker and easier. Move an option to a new location, add in an extra option or delete an unwanted option. Certain sub-menu items, like the new Magnifier, Weather and App Launcher options can also be added directly to the Main Menu for quick access.
- The comma key on the keyboard now changes to an at (@) sign when typing an email address. This saves time and means you don't need to switch to the numbers keyboard to complete an address.
- The option to password protect the Settings Menu has been removed due to the new lock screen options.
- A new lock screen adds new security and protection features. Set the lock screen to be operated by either a PIN, Swipe or disabled altogether.
- With the line between Smartphones and Tablets becoming ever more blurred, a new setting allows you to manually select the type of device (Tablet or Smartphone) that Synapptic is running on, if it's not been detected automatically.
- For overseas customers, a new feature is available to automatically detect, or manually set, the required language for menus and other text within Synapptic.
- New stations have been added to both the Radio Player and UK TV player.
- Various other minor enhancements have also been made to version 6.
I was not a mobile phone user previously but now use it for
calls, sending e-mails and texts. Also, I frequently use YouTube,
Internet radio and talking books! Although I have a little sight,
I feel I could use it without any sight.
Your Synapptic devices are the best things I have used in the ten
years I have been blind. Thanks to the above, I was awarded a
Blind Veterans UK Founder's Day Award for I T training earlier
I have been using my Synapptic phone for a couple of
months now and I love it. Synapptic software has opened up a whole
new world to me. I am now even exploring taking photos with the
camera. Just think - 6 months ago I could not even do text
messages let alone think about attaching photos! I hope everyone
else is getting as much pleasure from their Synapptic phone as I
If I did not have my Synapptic tablet, I would be lost without it.
I can keep in touch with all my friends on email and Facebook.
The speech recognition is the icing on the cake – wonderful!
Synapptic gives the user the very best opportunity to feel part of - and contribute to - the modern world, despite any level of sight loss.
Some of our Trusted Partners